Secret hideout Robert Corell

Isaac

Bericht door Isaac » 11-06-2016 14:08

He buried his face in the man's jacket, his hand grasping into the collar as if he was afraid he'd fall if he'd let go. He was too weak to mind, to think about what it meant for him to be here and what he now knew. It was unreal to hear the android talking to him like this and being able to hear his thoughts was even stranger. But his mind didn't give him a chance to think about it. It was like everything was frozen, or on stand-by.

It took a long time, he don't know how long, to gather himself again. He couldn't remember when he'd last felt so defeated, so vulnerable. Not much people had seen him like this and he knew that every time he took the risk of trusting someone to such an extent, he was taking a risk. But what could he do, except for being careful? People were unpredictable, in the end. His father's experiences had been proof of it.

Eventually, as if waking up from a strange dream, he let himself slide down to the floor again. He took deep, trembling breaths and felt how drained his body was. He pulled his legs up and leaned his head against Robert's knee.

"I don't understand," he said, his voice hoarse from crying, "is it actually possible to be this real- even though your body is artificial?"
Well it's too long living in the same old lives.
I feel too cold to live, too young to die.
Will you walk the line, like it's there to choose?
Just forget the wit, it's the best to use.

Overseer
Site Admin

Bericht door Overseer » 11-06-2016 14:26

Robert carefully dried his cheeks with his sleeve before he looked back at Isaac. He scrapped his throat, which was also hoarse from crying.

"It is..hard to answer. What is real and what is not? I never had the chance...to test this. It took me over three months to replicate all my....everything, into digital code."

He put his hand on Isaac's head.

"When you...have all the data and write the proper code, then how can you tell from behavior alone? What is the difference?" He gently said, not trying to convince Isaac as much as speaking his own opinion.

Isaac

Bericht door Isaac » 11-06-2016 14:35

His eyes switched back and forth between one spot and the other as he seemed to think about Robert's theory. Then, his gaze switched to his leg. That was also still working, better than it was supposed to, but there was no leg left that was still his- but now he felt almost no difference anymore. Would that be any different from someone's entire body? Could something be programmed into a living, real being? Was that the thing he had been afraid of all along- that final step -whilst working on his own project? To make it true to the one it was copied from?

He sighed and closed his eyes with the comforting touch of Robert's hand. "I don't know what the difference is. And that's what bugs me. I'm afraid to believe that it can be as true as the real deal. To believe technology could've brought us that. And what it would mean."

Finally, he managed to sit up straight and turn his upper body so he could look at the man. "What I should or shouldn't do it all unclear to me. I feel like I don't know the truth anymore. Not with anything."

Overseer
Site Admin

Bericht door Overseer » 02-07-2016 15:18

Robert placed a hand on his head and shrugged.
"The truth is nothing but your perception of the world you see as real." He started to speak as he had done in the past, but he suddenly stopped, clearly refraining himself from continuing on the subject.

"What it means....if this project is indeed successful, that others will be able to (re)create it in the future." Robert frowned and looked a bit worried.
"I won't tell you what to think about that, but is possibly dangerous in the wrong hands."

Robert leaned forward and took the Whisky glass and handed it to Isaac.
"You will need some time. Some time to....let this sink in."
He nodded as if he had made a decision. "But if there is more you would like to ask me....please ask. Anything." Robert looked Isaac in the eye with a serious but vulnerable gaze.

Isaac

Bericht door Isaac » 02-07-2016 15:28

Isaac listened intently as Robert tried to explain his point of view and nodded in understanding. He didn't mention what he thought, but the man was indeed correct; he did need some time to let everything sink in and make up his mind about what this meant for him.

When he proposed that he could ask him anything, Isaac started to frown after which seemed like a sudden realisation. He put his hand on Robert's knee, and slowly got up, crouching as he did.

He looked the man deeply into his eyes with a serious gaze. "I don't have any more questions, for now, but I do want to ask you for a favor. Something that is really important to me."

He took a moment and closed his eyes, obviously straining from the effort it cost him to say what he wanted to say: "I would ask you that you make contact with Chri-... mom, James and Leila and tell them the truth and the aftermath of Robert's death. They have already mourned him, but they deserve to know that there is at least a small part of him still alive."

His voice broke again when he said: "If I ever made a hard decision in my life I regret, it was not involving the ones I love most in the faking of my death, however efficient it has been to do so. It hurt me, and more importantly, it hurt them. If anything, our family should not be built out of lies and secrets."

Overseer
Site Admin

Bericht door Overseer » 02-07-2016 15:39

Robert's mouth opened in surprise, or horror?
He looked at Isaac with a gaze that showed he did not see this coming.
"I...." His sentence was lost before it left his lips and he swallowed as tears welled up in his eyes and looked at his feet.
After a moment he nodded. "I understand." After swallowing he looked at Isaac with a frown.

"You do....realize...that they will be part of....this...when I tell them?"
"I never wanted them to be involved....But you did involve Ethan? He's always been walking in my footsteps. He has a point. I know, but I have been scared of the consequences for a long time." Isaac heard two slightly different voices converse in the Android's mind.

Isaac

Bericht door Isaac » 02-07-2016 20:44

Isaac frowned. "They're already involved and they have been from the moment you got into this- everything. They're family, that's how it works. They made that very clear to me."

With a sigh he leaned closer to the man, putting a hand on his shoulder. "They are wise enough not to bother themselves with everything that we get involved in and keep themselves safe- they've proven that much. And don't forget James is already involved now that he basically works together with Senator Liosis." He smiled, be it wryly. "They should know that you're here and what happened with Robert and what he left behind. That's all. They have the right to know, just as much as I do."

He closed his eyes and clenched his jaws together. "In the end, they would be happier to know the truth, even if it hurts them. They won't have to get used to Robert being dead all over again, like I needed to."

It was a raw truth he handed over to Robert, but his tone of voice didn't sound like he mean it to be harsh. He just wanted to make sure the man understood what consequences it had to keep things from loved ones. Isaac knew all too well.

Overseer
Site Admin

Bericht door Overseer » 02-07-2016 22:22

Robert scrapped his throat in a uncomfortable way, trying to find a way to find his voice again which had broken.

He nodded in a slightly defeated way and pursed his lips, clearly trying to contain himself from shedding more tears. "You are right. They deserve that much."

It was as if he was ignoring Isaac's jab at the choice of the Android to not be upfront about Robert's death, but then he commented on it. "I am sorry it feels like I lied to you. It was never my intention to harm you more than I already have. Now I know it was naive and foolish."

Robert smiled vaguely. "Of course I should have known you could see through what I created. I must admit that it is a bittersweet feeling." he said in a sassy way, trying to uplift the tension there was.

Isaac

Bericht door Isaac » 02-07-2016 22:32

He managed a well-meant smile as he stood up and straightened his back. It felt like he had a mean hangover and he still felt nauseous, despite the atmosphere had been calmed down now. It wasn't like something as heavy a truth as this was easy to give a place in his heart and mind.

But he felt like he needed to make sure the android understood he did his best and he wasn't without good intentions. So he grabbed Robert by the hand and having refound his strength again, he pulled the man up and wrapped him in a tight and warm embrace of his own.
Whatever he was, and however strange and difficult this new revelation was to him, he did represent the only thing he had left that was anything close to his father. And having grown up, he had started to understand that children weren't the only one who needed reassurance of the love that was between them.

"I am glad that you're here," he mumbled next to Robert's ear, "Give me some time. I will come back to you when I know where I stand."

He let him go again and smiled at him. "I need to go. Take care, okay?"

Overseer
Site Admin

Bericht door Overseer » 03-07-2016 11:17

Robert seemed surprised by the gesture but hugged Isaac tightly as well.
He nodded to Isaac's words. "Thank you son." His words soft as they let go of each other, returning him a fatherly smile.

"I know. And I will." He sighed with a grin. "You should be the one taking care, considering what you are planning to do next."
Robert chuckled and walked over to the cabinet with the whisky's and grabbed the bottle from which he had poured the whisky to have Isaac drink.

"I want you to take it. A gift to the new couple. Even with a small amount missing, it should bring you 2000 Credits on the market." With a wolfish-grin he pressed the bottle in Isaac's hands and then guided him towards to door and closed the door behind him after one last smile.
"Please come back safely."

Plaats reactie